Let’s face it, NO ONE likes to have dandruff. It’s a problem many face and can be REALLY annoying. When it comes to dandruff, our first option is usually to choose a shampoo that can fix the ‘problem.’ Most shampoos can do the job if used with consistency. It’s important to choose the right shampoo as a ‘bad’ shampoo can lead to dry hair amongst other things.
Today we’re comparing Nizoral vs. Selsun Blue. These are two of the leaders & best sellers in the anti-dandruff shampoo space and we’ll take a look at their ingredients, benefits, and more to see which one may be a better fit and decision to combat your dandruff problems.
WHAT CAUSES DANDRUFF?
Dandruff often stems from Malassezia, a fungus that commonly lives on the scalp and feeds on the oils secreted by hair follicles. Malassezia is not usually a problem, but in some people the immune system overreacts to it. This can cause the scalp to become irritated and produce extra skin cells.
Consider the following reasons for dandruff:
- Irritated, oily skin.
- Dry skin.
- A yeastlike fungus (malassezia) that feeds on oils on the scalps of most adults.
- Sensitivity to hair care products (contact dermatitis)
- Other skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema.
NIZORAL ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO
Nizoral may be one of the most if not the most popular shampoo when it comes to dandruff. It’s highly rated to combat dandruff and it’s important to look at the ingredients. We know the benefit is it combats dandruff, but let’s look at the ingredients. Nizoral is best known for having ketoconazole, a fungus fighting ingredient that helps combat the dandruff it causes on the scalp.
SNAPSHOT VIEW OF NIZORAL ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO
- 7-fluid ounce bottle of Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo containing ketoconazole 1% to relieve flaking, scaling, and itching caused by dandruff
- This powerful dandruff control shampoo is made with ketoconazole 1%, an effective ingredient that is proven to help fight dandruff outbreaks.Avoid contact with eyes.
- Salon-tested, this dandruff treatment shampoo is specially formulated to be gentle and is safe enough to be used on color-treated, chemically processed and gray hair
- The rich, thick lather of this itchy scalp shampoo rinses clean, leaves hair smelling fresh and helps relieve scalps that are flaky, itchy and scaling
- SELF-CARE SOLUTIONS: At Kramer Laboratories we focus on consumer needs to help provide innovative solutions to everyday healthcare problems. Fight dandruff and flakiness with Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo
Ketoconazole 1%: This medication is used to control dandruff. Use of this medication may help to relieve the flaking, scaling and itching associated with dandruff. Ketoconazole is an azole antifungal that works by preventing the growth of fungus.Ketoconazole 2% shampoo is also used to treat a skin condition known as pityriasis (tinea versicolor), a fungal infection that causes a lightening or darkening of the skin of the neck, chest, arms, or legs.
FULL INGREDIENT LIST: Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Cocamide MEA, FD&C Blue #1, Fragrance, Glycol Distearate, Polyquaternium-7, Quaternium-15, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Hydroxide and/or Hydrochloric Acid, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Water.
DOES NIZORAL DRY OUT YOUR HAIR?
In some individuals, it may also cause either oiliness or dryness of the hair or scalp, abnormal hair texture, or discoloration. It can cause permed hair to lose its curl as well. In rare cases, ketoconazole shampoo can result in hair loss, so talk to your doctor right away if you notice this side effect. However, there are studies that show positive results in ketoconazole in regards to male and female pattern baldness and something you may consider for hair growth. CONSIDER REVITA HAIR STIMULATING SHAMPOO with ketoconazole.
DERMATOLOGIST REVIEW OF NIZORAL
SELSUN BLUE ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO W/ SELENIUM SULFIDE 1%
This is considered a maximum strength shampoo by Selsun Blue in their line of anti-dandruff shampoo which we’ll showcase. It’s important to get into some of the details of this shampoo that’s growing in popularity.
SNAPSHOT VIEW OF SELSUN BLUE ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO
- MAX STRENGTH: Maximum-strength anti-dandruff shampoo with 1% selenium sulfide
- MADE WITH ALOE: Moisturizing shampoo with aloe helps nourish and moisturize dry hair. Paraben-Free, Aluminum-Free
- QUICK LATHER: This medicated dandruff shampoo lathers quickly
- RELIEVES DANDRUFF SYMPTOMS: Selsun Blue anti-dandruff shampoo helps prevent and eliminate itchy scalp and visible flakes
SELSUN BLUE INGREDIENTS
Selenium Sulfide 1%: Fights dandruff through its anti-fungal properties as well as aiding the removal of dead skin cells.This medication is used to treat dandruff and a certain scalp infection (seborrheic dermatitis). It reduces itching, flaking, irritation, and redness of the scalp. Selenium sulfide is also used for a condition that causes discoloration of the skin (tinea versicolor). This medication belongs to a class of medications called anti-infectives. It works by slowing the growth of the yeast that causes the infection.
Full Ingredient List: water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, distearyl phthalic acid amide, ammonium laureth sulfate, sodium chloride, cocamide MEA, dimethicone, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, sodium isostearoyl lactylate, DMDM hydantoin, fragrance, citric acid, sodium citrate, titanium dioxide, blue 1